Wednesday, April 14, 2010

I love me.


I never did post about my trip to Vegas. I started writing a blog about it when I got back, but I was so overloaded with school work and family shit to do and all last weekend I was busy that I wasn't able to get around to it. Sadly, now I feel like my Vegas stories have been heard by all and it's just redundancy at this point. I know that most of you in my blogger-world don't know my personal life all that well, so I'll try to sum it up for you: The Hangover.

If someone would have said to me a year ago, or whenever that film came out, that I'd have a weekend in Vegas that was virtually the female reflection of this film, I would have said no way, no how. The person I am today and the person I once was are the antithesis of one another. Point being, I went to Vegas with my girlfriends and caused chaos of all sorts. The only thing missing was a Tiger in the bathroom. I'm 99% positive there was a police car involved at some point. However, between random guys taking us out to really awesome dinners, my inexplicably broken hand (or close enough), the battering of everyone's elbows and knees, bruises beyond accountability, time periods completely missing from our memory, my vague recollection of me running down Las Vegas Boulevard in a $500.00 dress that was sopping wet from a naked hot tub party at some suite at Cesar's Palace, security mishaps galore, stealing all sorts of mementos, pictures and VIDEO of things involving nudity that should have been burned before crossing state lines and Plan B - it was one hell of a 50 some-ought hour Vegas weekend. I was saying before how I hate Vegas and I do not like the Vegas crowd. Well, it's true - I don't like it. But if you're forced to go to Vegas for a friend's birthday MAKE THE ABSOLUTE MOST OF IT, which in essence means being blacked-out drunk, making really stupid decisions and having no regrets about any of it. Below is a picture of our room and the absolute mess we made of it. After a long night of partying, one of my friends took someone back to our room with her. We caught her mid nudity committing lewd acts.

Now, I had stated before that I had been working on a heavy duty research paper that was one too many pages long. I never did finish it until the day I needed to turn it in. Actually, I only had about 2-3 pages done by the time I left for Vegas. I kept trying to convince my brain that I needed to turn in my paper on Friday so that I didn't have anything to do when I got back from Vegas. Instead, I focused mainly on my research knowing that without that element done, there would be absolutely no way I could be able to get in my zone for crunch time. It wasn't a regurgitation paper, so I couldn't have formulated enough evidence to support my arguments without it. At a minimum, I got the research done. When I came home on Monday I had a paper that was due Tuesday that I had not even started and/or thought about for linguistics. I stayed up until 3 in the morning LOOKING for something to write on. I woke up the next morning at 10:00 am and started my paper that was due at 2:15. Thankfully it was only 3 pages and a half-regurgitation half-reflection paper. I got it done and once again, another 100% paper.

Backing up to Tuesday - I wasn't able to get back to my research paper until that evening. It was due Wednesday. What's worse about Wednesday is that I work all day, so that counts out the 8 something hours I'd have during regular business hours to write. I had to cram page after page after page after page of rambling - condensing entire periods, movements, laws and reason into this paper I had no heart or soul in. I tried to channel my inner angry lesbian for this topic I chose and didn't succeed as much as I had hoped. However, without adderall, proofreading, editing or even a basic spell check - I blindly wrote until I could write no more. It's like I had this amalgamation of thoughts in my head that I needed to organically separate into something with merit and most importantly, clarity. Well, I delivered. I'm not sure how I did it, but I delivered. I kept saying I was "writing for the A" and I did. I got it. Granted it's an A-minus and ONLY because she was a pedantic bitch and knocked me off ONLY ONLY ONLY because I had typographical errors ON MY ENDNOTES! WAH! My research, the context of the paper, everything I had done was spot-on minus some stupid shit on my ENDNOTES. All in all, I got what I wanted.

For now, here is a picture of me smiling. Yes, this smile is fake and forced, but it's a smile. I am gleaming inside because of this paper I didn't think I'd do well on because I did so much at the last minute and so much of it went in blindly. It all seemed like one long thought that actually made sense. Unbelievable. So, this smile may LOOK fake because I hate smiling for pictures - but know that inside, I really am beaming and overcome with joy.

No comments: