Saturday, December 4, 2010

What happened?


I'm not exactly sure where the time has gone. One minute I'm completely obsessed with this blog and the next it's like this thing doesn't exist. There have been a number of moments where I've said to myself that I've been neglecting this blog but have continued to ignore my blogger needs. Suddenly, weeks have gone by and still no update. Damn, I suck.

I posted last when I was in New York City. That was the begging of my Mid-Atlantic food tour. From NYC I followed with going to Princeton, New Jersey so my folks could see a friend of theirs and I saw a couple of friends of mine. Followed by Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington DC and Virgina/North Carolina.

The food trip was incredible. If I were to explain in detail of every single thing I ate and experienced I would be writing this blog for the next few days. Instead, I will sum it up.

Best palate experience: Morimoto's in Philadelphia. The only restaurant I've been to in years where I have no clue how to reproduce half of the food I ate. It really was a mind-blowing, mouth-fucking experience.

Most overrated: Delilah's FAMOUS mac n' cheese in Philadelphia. OPRAH, YOU SUCK.

Most fun: Pat's v. Geno's food feud in Philadelphia. I side with Michael Symon, PAT'S for the win. Sidenote: TONY LUKE'S is by far, hands-down much better quality of a cheesesteak. Bobby Flay is right.

Best classic dishes: TIE. Between Caracas Arepa Bar in NYC or La Isla in Hoboken, New Jersey. Both of them were featured on Throwdown. The Throwdown dish from La Isla was the stuffed french toast which actually didn't blow me out of the water like the arepas did. It was just their over-all classic Cuban food which was done to absolute perfection. My mom ordered the choripan and it reminded me of my childhood when my grandma lived with us.

Everything else I had lived up to its expectations. What blew my mind the most was the BBQ from mid-way through Virginia through North Carolina. Even more so, how the restaurants often offered Carolina-style BBQ sauce and Virginia-style BBQ sauce... Which much to my surprise was nothing of what I thought to be BBQ sauce to be, especially North Carolina style. When you hear that North Carolina style is a vinegar base, they honestly mean it's fucking vinegar --- lots and lots of vinegar. The people were nice, the food was awesome.

The picture above was at this place called Currituck BBQ in some podunk town in North Carolina. The place was packed with hunters and this picture was to prove that I saw hunters a'plenty. As a Californian I have seen a lot of things in my life, things that some people should see and experience and have also seen things some people will never and should never. Point is, something Southern Californians lack in their daily lives is a good dose of hunters. Strange almost, but cool.

On another note, I'm actually going back to DC tomorrow. I'm going for work, but I get an additional 36 hours after work to play around in DC. I'll get to go to Granville Moore, one of the places on my list that I didn't go to on my trip. STOKED! :)

I also bought myself a netbook today for traveling. I'm going to invest in a mac, FINALLY --- but I realized that if I go traveling around with a mac and God forbid anything happen to it, I will probably shit my pants and cry until I drown in my own tears. Now I have this awesome little netbook that fits in my purse and if someone jacks it, fine. All I had on it was e-mail, AIM and facebook. Go for it. Bitch.

No comments: